- 12 oz pasta, whole-wheat, shells or twists or other short whole-wheat pasta
- 8 oz sausage, Italian turkey, hot links, removed from casings
- 3 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 8 cup(s) lettuce, arugula or baby spinach
- 2 cup(s) tomato(es), cherry halved
- 1/2 cup(s) cheese, Parmesan or Pecorino Romano, finely shredded, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, black ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil, olive, extra-virgin
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes, or according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, arugula (or spinach) and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt and the tomatoes begin to break down about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
3. Combine 1/2 cup cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta. Whisk the cooking liquid and oil into the cheese mixture; add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve the pasta topped with the sausage mixture and an extra sprinkle of cheese, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of www.everydayhealth.com.